Welcome to my blog!
I’m a Southern girl who was raised in a white, middle class home in the state in which I will be teaching. There are a few things you should know about me and about this blog:
- I have seen the achievement gap firsthand and want to do my part to close it in my state.
- I believe that every child is capable of learning.
- I want to put the kids I teach on a path to long-term success in all aspects of their lives.
- I can and will be working much harder than many people feel I “should” in order to attain the goals I’ve set for my kids.
- I chose to do Teach For America over going to graduate school because I wanted to give back to my state for all the opportunities I’ve been given.
So that’s a bit about that, but here’s a bit more about me (that’s relevant to this blog):
- I’m extremely goal-oriented. I have learned to value relationships but will always put goals first.
- I am a really, really, really hard worker. When I do something, I give my all to it and even give more than I think I can.
- I can be a bit of a negative nancy. Blame my dad, I inherited this trait from him. Luckily, I have a great support system that keeps me trying to look on the bright side.
- Sometimes, I whine. This may happen on here when I’m having a rough day or when things get hard.
- I love good grammar. I love correct spelling. I love proper punctuation. I love alliteration, too!
I make no guarantees on how often I will be able to update this blog, but I will do my best to not leave it unattended for too long! Here’s why I’m writing this blog:
- I want to use it as a way of recording my experiences
- It will serve as a way of keeping myself accountable – I will list my goals and report back how I’m doing on here
- I love to tell stories, and this way I can tell a story once and everyone can read it!
- I want to document my experiences so that next year I can give advice to incoming corps members who will be going through what I’m going through now
So welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I’ll enjoy writing it